Mona Island, often referred to as the Galápagos of the Caribbean, is undoubtedly Puerto Rico’s wildest frontier and one of the last true secret adventures in the Caribbean. Its distant location has contributed to the evolution of its unique biodiversity and geology, along with colossal limestone cliffs pockmarked by thousands of caves that sink deep into the ocean. The island is a sanctuary for marine bird life and sea turtles, rivaled only by few on the Western Hemisphere. It was once the home of Taíno Indians and later saw conquistadors and pirates come ashore seeking shelter and fresh water.
We are pleased to announce that starting on 2017, Acampa Nature Adventures is exclusively offering small-group expeditions to Mona Island. You will enjoy an all-inclusive beach camping full of adventure with a culinary experience, backed by the impeccable reputation of Acampa, the adventure industry leader in Puerto Rico.
The island's remoteness and natural beauty make it the perfect place to explore its secluded surroundings, wandering through caves and admiring and photographing the island’s stunning landscape, landmarks and wildlife.
September 28 - October 1
October 12 - October 15
November 9 - November 12
* Acampa orientation and safety meeting
* 50-foot charter boat transportation
* Breakfast, lunch and dinner, prepared by local chef
* Fresh tropical fruits, water and 100% natural juices
* Professional and experienced bilingual guides/staff
* Daily scheduled adventure activities
* Photography sessions & support from professional photographer
* Official Mona Island Reserve Permits (DRNA)
* Customized personal digital photo album package
* Bring your own camping gear & gadgets
* Premium full package camping equipment available for rental
* Navigate 45 miles on the fabled Mona Passage, arriving at the island just after sunrise
* Remote, pristine location
* Camp in privacy at Pájaros Beach under a canopy of tropical trees, kissed by cool ocean breezes
* Explore unspoiled beaches, dry forests, massive cliffs and majestic caves
* Appreciate endemic flora and fauna
* Learn about the island’s history, geology and habitats from our knowledgeable guides
* Enjoy tasty healthy meals prepared by our chef using locally-sourced ingredients
* Ancient petroglyphs left in the caves by the island’s early inhabitants
Rafa Espasas is an environmental attorney with a devout fascination for Mona. Prior to becoming an attorney he worked as a high school teacher for the Puerto Rico Department of Education. His passion for Mona, his knowledge on environmental issues, and his love for teaching, make him a great expedition leader. With over 50 expeditions under his belt in the last 20 years, Rafa is one of the most experienced "Moneros" around.
Salvi Colom is a renown photographer whose usual main subjects are natural landscapes, including Isla de Mona for 20 years and counting. Having made over 20 trips to explore and photograph the island, you can rest assured he will guide you to the right places to shoot the best images, or just to sit down, enjoy the views, and learn from his all-around knowledge about the island’s nature and history. During 2009 he published his coffee-table book "El Puerto Rico que yo conozco" showcasing his B&W panoramic montages, which include Mona. You can see his works at www.salvipics.com
Raymond Sepúlveda is a passionate outdoorsman, "Monero" and leader in the ecotourism industry in Puerto Rico. Owner and founder of Acampa Nature Adventures since 1997, and has been visiting Mona since then, when he became fascinated with its magic, flora, fauna, and history. That is why he knows the hidden gems of the island, the best routes, and how to experience the island in the most adventurous and spiritual way.
* Active+ (moderate-strenuous activities)
* Hiking, Camping, Caving, Relaxing,
* Group size - 16 participants
* 4:1 guest to staff ratio
* 3 full nights of beach camping
Minimum Age: 16
Maximum Weight: 230 pounds (104kg)
Maximum Waist Size 38 inches (95cm)
Maximum Group Size: 16
You should be in good health and physically fit to participate in this adventure. You know your physical abilities. Please do not participate if you suspect that your health could be at risk for any reason or if you could aggravate a pre-existing condition of any kind. You cannot participate in this adventure if you suffer from any cardiac condition, respiratory ailment, weak legs, epileptic seizures, under influence of drugs or alcohol and pregnant.
*Orientation and Safety meeting
*Medical Certificate of Good Health
*Emergency and Medical Info Document (1 page)
*Signed Release Form
*Read, understand and agree to the Mona Island terms & conditions
Coordinates: 18°5'12"N 67°53'22"W
Area: 21 mi (55 km2)
Length: 6.8 mi (11 km)
Width: 4.3 mi (7 km)
Distance from Puerto Rico: 41 mi (66 km)